Rhizome is a term used to describe the relations and connectivity of things. A hyper-connected structure that appears to be an emergent organisational form in complex systems.
“Rhizome” referring to a relation like that of roots. They spread underground with no direction, no beginning, and no end. They are dispersed. It is opposed to the idea of a tree which has a starting point, and from there branches out in a predictable path.
The pattern repeatedly emerges throughout natural and designed systems:
- large scale structure of the cosmos
- www, wikis
- social networks - software and real / communities
- acentered - no centre / starting point
- evolving/changeable — growing/dying/branching/forking/strengthening/pruning
- heterogeneity - differing things can connect - any rhizomic structure can connect/extend/define sections of any other rhizome
- (self-similar at differing scales)? …